Skip to main content

Reply to "ODAC baseball"

@RJM posted:

Vandy of D3? Why does everyone think Vanderbilt has such high standards. I know the dads of two former players whose kids took nothing but general education (no honors) courses in high school. Both were drafted. One in the first round and had a nine year MLB career.

A special ed kid from our high school on probation for assaulting a cop played football at Vanderbilt. He did have a 4.3. It was his forty time not his gpa. He was a nice kid who wasn’t very bright.

I suspect Coach is just looking to tie a top-tier southern university to a top-tier program.  Both aren’t really debatable in the macro sense.  As for recruiting and academic eligibility, I have no idea so won’t defend that, have no reason to not believe what you’re saying is accurate ( as an aside the singular least bright kid who ever worked for me played lacrosse at Duke).  

Maybe Coach should simply add, “Only W&L’s academic admission standards are more rigorous for athletes” because that would certainly be the truth.  As has been stated here many times before, HA D3 maybe the hardest route to college athletics there is.