Skip to main content

Reply to "Offer experiences"

@nycdad posted:

Oldest son was told to come on campus and they would offer if he was ready to decide. Not on the spot but if he was ready to make a decision they wanted him on campus. We went, toured, and sat in the HC's office with the RC. After the tour they had done a pre-read and broke down what he'd likely get academically as well as what they were offering athletically. They didn't put a time table on the offer. Son accepted that a few days later.

Younger son, when he got the offer was given a week.

From your post, I can't tell if your kid is in contact with the schools that may make offers. I would recommend your kid start handling communication with them as soon as it makes sense. Your travel coaches probably want the best for him, but you don't want them in the middle when it comes time to drill down into details of the offer.

Also make sure you have all the details of the offer(s). For example one son was told, "it's a full offer" What they meant was tuition was covered, not R&B and not other costs that make up COA. My other son was told a percentage in the initial conversation with him, but they didn't detail where the money was coming from and it turned out they were anticipating some grants that he wouldn't have qualified for.

Thanks, this is super helpful.  Particularly around offer details and sources of funding.  So far, son's been speaking directly with a handful of coaches, usually arranged via the travel coach.  Yeah, I think it's important he have direct contact and learn to hold a conversation.  Can't remember who, but someone on this forum had a good minimum 7-word rule for answering questions which son seems to do a good job of sticking to.   I overheard him on the phone with a coach a couple weeks back and thought "hmm, he doesn't sound half bad...."