Skip to main content

Reply to "Offer experiences"

My son's first offer came from a school he had been in regular communication with for several months.  The offer came shortly after attending their camp.  Most prior communication was with the RC, but the offer was given over the phone by the head coach.  No time frame was given for how quickly they needed an answer.

For all other schools that offered, he had been in regular communication for a few months.  They all said that they were ready to give him an offer when he was ready to make a decision.  He continued to talk regularly to coaches, attend prospect camps and gather information independently about each school as far as academics, campus, majors, location, tuition, etc.

When the time came, he notified schools that he was ready to decide.  Each school set up a phone call or video call and presented the offer.  All schools, except the first one, asked his parents to be on the call.  That was very helpful for us to be able to hear the terms of the offer ourselves instead of depending on our son to accurately relay them to us.  All schools, except one, the offers came from the head coach.  The other one came from the RC.  He made his decision within a few days.

My son had been in regular communication with these coaches before offers were made.  It sounds like maybe that is not the case with the original poster.  I think that was vital in the decision making process to build that relationship with the coaches and really get a feel for the vibe as much as possible.  We were always told, don't make your decision based on the coaching staff, you never know if they will still be there.  But how can that not be at least part of the equation?

I have tried to understand better why certain schools don't have a time limit and other do.  I did consider the first school's lack of time limit as an indication of how much they wanted him.  Ultimately, that university was not a great fit academically for him.  He was recruited rather early, so maybe they felt they were in a position at that time that they could keep an offer for his class on the table a little longer.  I do remember the coaches always asking him who else he was talking to and who he had offers from.  I guess they were all keeping tabs on each other.