Skip to main content

Reply to "Offer experiences"

All of my son's offers were on the phone.  Several offered him and then asked that he call them back with us on the phone, so we could go over any questions (appreciated that).  None gave my son a time table.  The only one that was different (and turned my son off) was a team that courted him for over a year.  They invited him to campus multiple times, were at his games frequently.  They called his travel coach and asked that my son call them, that they were going to offer him 75%.  He called and the coach told him they really wanted him, and when he was ready to commit, they were ready to give him a big offer.  It made him feel like they were playing games and he became pretty uninterested in them.  He ended up committing right after his sophomore year, because the recruiting thing stressed him out so much.  In hindsight, so much changed in baseball (and in the world) before he graduated. I don't see a lot of upside to committing early (other than not having to play  "the game" and make the nightly calls).  There were several top 50 players that didn't commit until after junior year, and still had every option.  If your son is being recruited this early, I assume that is his level of play.  Over the next several years, you can see how teams handle the incoming freshmen and the transfer portal and get a better idea of the reality vs what they sell you on.  I know it's unsolicited, but I would have him listen to everyone, and tell them that this is a big decision for him and he wants to be patient and get it right.  Ask around about the program from those who have been there.  Gather information.  Keep working hard and make the decision when you've had enough time to really interview the school as much as they are evaluating your son.