Skip to main content

Reply to "Offers..."

J23 - Your son has almost identical numbers to my son. We just finished the process and we can really relate. One thing we want you to realize is that the "higher" you go in the academic sphere the more need based financial aid there is. Need based awards at schools like Williams, Haverford, Swarthmore, Amherst, etc. are independent of academics. That means if you get admitted to the school you get the grant (not a loan) solely dependent on your need. No one is competing for money based on academics or athletics. Rather grants are given as a consequence of admission and need. IMHO opinion that is much better than baseball money because, as one coach said, "need can't get cut for hitting .150"

I suggest that your son take those visits if he likes the schools. My son did and they were incredibly fun and cleared up all the mystery. Before the visit have him speak to the coach and say "when my parents are here can we speak to someone about how financial aid works." Coach will make an appointment with a financial aid person and will likely walk you in. At that point admissions knows that your son is a recruited athlete and coach has vetted his academic numbers. In our experience you will be treated VERY nicely! And what a thrill to accompany your son to these fine schools that are asking him to apply and then paying him for being a nice, smart, athletic kid. You should be proud.

PS I agree with Dominick about the Ivy interest. However, its a little late in the process for them. It can be hit or miss but IMHO you have to call them directly and quickly if you are interested.