Skip to main content

Reply to "Offers & Committing"

@fenwaysouth posted:

bamatarheel and danj,

You've got my mind turning over this morning thinking "what if"....

Congrats on your offers and acceptance.   I'm probably not alone in thinking your posts reflect the true reality of college baseball recruiting in the Covid era.   We've been "talking" about it for 5 months on HSBBWeb, and your very real world experience is right there to share with our readers.   Thanks for sharing.  I'm blown away by the expediency of today's offer/acceptance in the recruiting process.   Both of you jumped at an opportunity based on what you knew and didn't know.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, my son spent 20 months trying to find a combination of a top engineering school and decent college baseball team.   My son is very data driven, and he never rushed into a decision in his life....even to this day   Given the recruiting climate today, I don't think it would have ended nearly as well for him.  He wasn't a flamethrower, but he was a control pitcher.  He was a talent that a D1 HC or RC needed to see at least twice.    I could see another reality where he would have picked the engineering school then tried to walk-on to a D1 or D3 school.   

The good news for your sons is they found a place that checks the boxes and you didn't have to field a handful of offers then revisit more colleges with offers in hand which is the typical operating procedure that most of us went through in normal times.   

Again, congrats and thanks for sharing your experience.

I probably could have / should have gone into more detail. My son committed in Nov of last 2019 and it was his first offer ....even though he knew others were coming. He just happened to catch lightening in a bottle.

We started the process in the spring of 2019 reaching out to over 75-80 schools....in a certain southern region. We continued to narrow his list to 25+ schools through their interest, however after meeting with his high school varsity coach in the fall of 2019  ..who knows my son well we determined that my son needed a D1 school that develops kids. Those are tough to find and would not exist in the ACC nor SEC.....so we identified two program that we felt were perfect . My son had played in front of these programs. Our high school coach and travel team 

We contact this program through my sons travel program....they were aware of him but did not think he was interested and the rest was history. FYI.......option 2 would have twice price / overall cost to attend.