Skip to main content

Reply to "Offers & Committing"

Thank you to all for your replies and opinions.  The HC said he has limited his offers by at least 50% because of the possible affect of deferrals.  He is using a slot for my son, but normally he gets more slots.  He said he is only using two this year where normally it is 4-5.  Even before COVID, he couldn’t guarantee admission to this school, but he has never had anyone rejected.  Their normal acceptance rate is around 9-10%, so who knows what it will be this year.  However, he said he has only submitted candidates and used his slots on players that are academically competitive.  I don’t think any coach and school can realistically guarantee admissions, but using their pull and slots you have a very good idea that it’s likely.  Additionally, this school only has early decision and regular decision...no early action.  Our son reached out to admissions to ask about how many deferrals are in place and if it will affect next years yield.  They responded saying they expect to admit a larger class to accommodate the deferrals.  

Interesting CoVid effect here. 

Just a guess, but from everything you're saying, if your son's test scores and grades are at or above the median for admitted students, he's probably in good shape. If not, I'd be nervous.  Heck, I'd be nervous no matter what.  Having a plan b is a good plan.  Good luck to your son!