Skip to main content

Reply to "Official Visit Tips"

Here's the real deal, coaches are veterans at the recruiting game. They've been doing it for years, and usually know what you're going to ask before the words are out of your mouth. They know every answer to every question because they've been asked them over and over. So, feel free to ask.

I wish I had not been afraid to ask some questions that I now have the answers to. Heck, I didn't even know I had a question...but I sure got the answer.

Every coach has trends regarding playing time (let's face it, that is the number one question on most recruits minds even though they don't ask and wouldn't get an answer other than a.) it is earned on the field...mostly true, and/or b.) your my guy....maybe true, maybe not). The answer to whether freshmen have real playing time is generally found in the roster and stat pages.

Look at the roster. Of the 35 roster guys, how many are true four year players, red-shirts, transfers from 4 year schools, and transfer from Juco.

Then look at stats, who is getting the bulk of at-bats and/or innings pitched? Which group do they come from (4 year guys, red shirts, transfers, Juco)? Is it balanced?

Look at recent games. What does batting order look like. Freshmen representation?

Does he do a lot of late game substituting? Does it corrospond to opposing pitcher's being lefty/righty? Some coaches sprinkle lefty hitters throughout lineup, then pinch hit late in game if lefty pitcher comes in (or vice versa). Personally, I find it to be over coaching, but, heck, if they're succesful at it...who am I? lol Does the starting lineup change day to day for the same reason (lefty/right matchups)?

Do you see players with lower batting averages entrenched in the lineup compared to another same-position player with fewer at-bats and higher batting average and other stats? That may be an indicator of the coach's preference of lefty/righty matchups (among other things...defensive ability, other tools, etc)

Looking more at the recent games. Is the lineup full of transfers? In other words, is he developing (or not) his own four year players? This will change moving forward.

A coach who leans heavily on transfers/Jucos does so at the expense of developing freshmen. It's OK for a freshman to sit a year, but if the Juco influx means that guy is ahead of you for two years, then you've lost developmental time for two years, making you vulnerable to another Juco transfer who has spent the last two years getting 350-400 at-bats.

This could go on forever, but this points you in the right direction.

We had really studied Wayback Jr's eventual selection roster. We checked who was leaving. We checked who was coming in (based on pretty sound rumors..NLI lists and so on). We weighed it out and moved forward. We didn't anticipate five Juco transfers coming in during the summer. In retrospect, knowing that now, I still wonder would I have had the cajones to ask him about that possibility. You still have to win the job on the field. But, it seems like the leash for a Juco kid is a heck of a lot longer than a freshmen player. Admittedly, he's earned that right. But, it's tough waiting for your chance watching "slumps" last half a season. Can't wait for Jr to be an upper classman. Each at-bat won't be as internally grinding as they are now.

In the end, the money offer is a good indicator of what the opportunity is, and how long the leash will be.

Your son will get time with the team. Have him ask the players about the above situations and their impression of the program. After all, he'll be in their shoes in another year.
Last edited by wayback