Skip to main content

Reply to "Ohio peeps: Lowdown on Marietta?"

SluggerDad,

I know all these schools well. I will tell you what I know, and we can PM on further details. My son is now a senior at OWU and was recruited my most of these schools. 

Marietta: Marietta heavily recruited my son, and he really liked coach Deegan, who is now at Denison. We took several trips down to the college and if he had decided on Physics or Petroleum Engineering (Marietta has one of the few programs in the country for this lucrative degree.) he would have probably gone there.An absolute Baseball power in D3. They regularly win the OAC. They bring in Large classes every Fall. They do something unusual that no other team in D3 does. Their is a local Fall baseball league in the town of Marietta. It is open to High Schooler's and College players. All of Marietta's players compete for different teams during this fall league. This league is not affiliated with the school and is completely above board. I have known players who went to Marietta and went through this fall season and not make it to the official fall season.   If a young man goes to Marietta he has to be prepared to compete. Their are many very good ball players competing for roster spots. The best will play. There are many fine young ball players that go their and realize they may never see the field. Many transfer. But that is not because of the school for the most part, it is because so many athletes want to play for the best and realize quickly that they do not compare. Marietta is one of the best teams in the Mid East region in getting kids onto Summer teams. Their athletes dot the rosters of some very good leagues. They regularly have kids in the Great Lakes, Valley league, some even in the CPL. In a nut shell a very good school, but be prepared to compete. 

MT Union: The last couple of years they have competed well in the OAC. They are probably a tier 2 team in that league, in that they are not going to make the tourney every year. This is another school that brings in many kids in a class, OWU has had a couple of kids transfer in over the years from this school. Mount Union is an absolute national power when it comes to D3 Football. So sometimes Baseball takes a back seat, as far as the student body is concerned. This is one of the few non liberal arts D3 schools in Ohio. They are very science based. They also have a graduate school attached. I have never been to their field, so I do not know what their facilities are like. They made an initial push to recruit my son, but he was set on a Liberal Arts Education, so he told them he was not interested. We never even made a visit. 

Ohio Wesleyan: Mott is an OWU graduate and a very good player for them. He was a two way player and helped them get to the championship of the Mid East regional several times but could not quite break through. They were beat by Marietta every time. He was also a graduate assistant at Marietta, He acted as pitching coach and got a lot out of their pitchers. He picked up a lot of his philosophies from Coach Brewer at Marietta. He is a very good recruiter, and goes head to head against Marietta and Hiedelberg regionally for recruits. During the recruiting process Mott explained that my son would probably be a two way player his freshman year. He would have the opportunity, to compete for a outfield spot. Maybe relieve some on the weekends and get an occasional week day start. Do to an injury the summer before college he was not as well prepared as he would of liked to hit. He did not hit overly well. But a spot in the rotation opened up and he became a conference starter for them. If you are recruited by Mott you will get at least 2 years to prove yourself. He does not cut his recruits until Junior year. And that is only if he does not see you playing as a junior or a senior. Many kids cut themselves. He usually brings in 10 to 12 kids. but by senior year several usually quit. Some due to school cost, some do to distractions (girls). The record has not been very good the last couple of years, but the team was very young. Their has been many Freshman and Sophomores in the starting line up. This year we will be mostly a junior/senior team. Unlike the OAC, the NCAC does all their Conference games on the weekend. They play a DH 7/9 on Saturday and Sunday. You need a lot of Starting pitching to get through that. They usually play a strong schedule. They play Marietta twice this year. They also play Moravian (top 30 last year), And a strong Hampden-Syndey from the ODAC. Then the usual cast of characters, John Carroll, Hiedelberg, Muskingum, etc... Mott sends several players to Summer ball teams every year. My son has played in the Great Lakes and the Valley league. Do not expect to play in one of the top leagues your freshman year though. Mott wants his players to get playing time. He will send you were he thinks you can play. But if you are good enough and develop your sophomore and Junior league you can play in the likes of the prospect league or Great lakes. OWU's pitching coach is one of the best in the business. Koblentz managed the Delaware Cows of the Great Lakes Summer Collegiate League.  Earlier, he served as associate head coach at Duke University for 5 years, and was a minor league pitching coach and scouting supervisor for the Cleveland Indians. He has lots of connections and will use them. He is no longer climbing the ladder so he will coach as long as he is able at OWU. 

Be aware I am more familiar with OWU than the other programs and my son goes there so I lean towards supporting OWU more. 

For all these schools there is the weather factor. Today it is -5 with a wind chill of -22. It is not for the faint of heart. Ohio D3 schools do not start until late february or early march. Many play their first games in brutal conditions. The first game my son pitched in college, it was in the 20's with snow squalls. Snow was falling sideways. A BOF noted, the season is condensed compared to southern and western schools many of which start in late January or early February. If you are a pitcher, this creates opportunity. OWU needs no less than 4 solid starters for the weekend games, then another starter for the weekday games, sometimes a weekend starter will start during the week. Plus the relievers. Where in the west or south a school may get away with having 2 or three starters because their games are spread out. 

Most of the dorms at many of the LA schools may not have AC, so the Falls can be terribly hot and humid. Make sure you have a fan for your room. 

If anyone wants more detail or has specific questions feel free to send me a dialog (PM)

Enjoy the ride, all these schools are good choices.