Skip to main content

Reply to "OK I'm in - LLWS Thread"

Originally Posted by OldSkool2:
Originally Posted by RJM:

If it were a 12-13 year old boy who threw a 2 hit shut out, I doubt the media would have been all over him as they have her.

She's getting more attention than a kid who threw an 18 K no hitter several years ago. 

I've heard comments about her wanting to go pro.

Baseball isn't her first sport. Her goal is to play basketball for UConn. In the Philadelphia papers today (philly.com) she's being compared to Dawn Staley. A 12yo who has pitched her team (with a 1.5m population LL boundry/normal is 20k) to the LLWS is being compared to a former high school female basketball national player of the year, two time NCAA player of the year and three time gold medal winner with Team USA. It's a bit over the top.

On our local news last night the News Barbie exclaimed maybe she will be the first female to play MLB. The sportscaster said it's a nice story but she needs to make her high school team first.

All it really is, is a girl staying with baseball when most girls are playing softball who has grown to her mature height of 5'4" while we wait for all the boys to wizz past her as they reach puberty. Nice LL story though.

Way to be a sexist pig. She was probably asking to be called a "News Barbie," right?

It would be nice if you added to the baseball conversation once in a while rather than making instigating confrontation your objective.

How many women are there in MLB? How many women are there in D1 college baseball? I'll give you a shot. How many women are there in high school baseball? Why is it the answers are such that they are? Isn't a little absurd to compare a 12yo kid to a three time national player of the year and three time gold medal winning athlete?

The News Barbie term came from Dan Rather. He refered to a lot of the men as News Kens. How many local news anchors, male or female do you believe are hired on their news acumen before their looks? All they're doing is reading off a teleprompter. A majority of the time they offer an opinion it's uninformed and ridiculous.

I'm not sexist. I deal in reality. Have a nice day!

Last edited by RJM