Skip to main content

Reply to "Old Timers, Please Weigh In!"

My first advice is now that your son is in high school don't use this line anymore .... "My son has played baseball since he was 4 (he has a June 1 birthdate) and select ball since he was 8." ... It makes coaches and parents roll their eyes. Coaches only care about now. Most parents have kids who have played a long time. Preteen select ball isn't all that select.

I agree with dad if your son isn't committed you shouldn't waste the money. You're not falling behind in the recruiting process at fourteen years old. He's not going to be recruited off a team that's not a 17U/18U team.

Your son has to want baseball. You can't want it for him. My son went through some burnout last fall. I didn't see the effort. I cut him off. I told him if he wanted to do fall camps he needed to pay me $50 for each one. He had to get a job. I found out how committed he was by making him invest. He found out deep down how badly he wanted baseball when I pulled the rug out from under him rather than pushing him. He snapped out of his malaise quickly. He's back on track.

If we were talking about academics I'd say parents should hound their kids to their best effort. Sports are an extracurricular activity. The sports future is up to the kid. Never force a kid to play. He'll hate it. All I've asked of my kids in return for my financial investment in their sports is 100% effort. If not, the bank is closed.

If a kid isn't willing to do the hard work in high school ball, he won't have what it takes to survive college ball assuming he gets there. College ball isn't for everyone. There's nothing wrong with enjoying playing the game through high school.

(advice from dad of a college softball player and college baseball prospect)