Skip to main content

Reply to "Old Timers, Please Weigh In!"

I am going through this now with my younger son and football. He is 14, in 8th grade. Played football since 5th grade. I have looked forward to him playing in HS. Well, the schedule came out for summer workouts and they are scheduled to work out Mon. - Thurs. from 5-7. When he saw that, he said forget it, I'm not going to play football.

He is way more social than my older son playing baseball. He has tournaments scheduled every weekend over the summer and is looking forward to it. My feeling is that I don't really want to push him to do it at this point. If he gets forced to do something he doesn't really want to do, he won't be happy and will wind up quitting at some point any way. For now I will let it go and let him decide if he wants to come back and do it.

I heard an interview with Jeff Franceour (of the Braves and now Mets) a little while back. I forget how old he was, but I think it was just before HS, he quit baseball for a year. Just got burned out on it. I am assuming his parents didn't like it, but let him do it. He came back after that with renewed interest and is playing in the MLB.

There is plenty of time for your son to make the showcase rounds. Doesn't sound like he wants to quit baseball, he just doesn't want to commit his life to it at this point. I personally wouldn't push it. Let him decide when he wants to pursue it. Let him play HS, but I wouldn't commit all your financial resources on it yet. When he is ready, let him go for it. JMHO.