Skip to main content

Reply to "Old Timers, Please Weigh In!"

quote:
Originally posted by gamedayrocks:
I need your advice!!!!

He stated "I'm not sure anymore if this is what I want to do." My question to you:

Do I let it go? According to the timeline, we have to make a decision quickly. He feels I'm pressuring him. Do I let off, or should he feel pressure? (Life's full of pressure.)

Your opinions, PLEASE!!!

Sometimes the answer is plain....and right there.....if he isnt sure, then its time for you to support him in his decision...and not pressure him to do one thing or another....

I would discuss further what his thoughts are...if he is just worried that the easy times are over and he will have to work for that next level, then you can assure him that you will do what it takes for him to succeed...(training)

If he isnt having any fun, then this is a year for you to let him have it....he is still young and a year of playing at his level, without pressure and with his friends may rekindle that fire.....

The danger here is that with pressure, you can force him away from the sport forever...or for a few years which in the future actual "developmental" years will be hard to overcome....I have seen players who followed the path your son is on, leave the sport only to try and come back to it late in the HS years and regret it...

So my hope would be that you could find a middle ground this year...and make a reasoned decision next year....

The word your son has heard about college baseball is true....and its worth hearing and deciding if that is for you.....It is a JOB....a year round committment...My son put 5 years in NCAA baseball, 4 as a player and 1 as an assistant coach....he never went to daytona on spring break, he never did much of what a non athlete envisions college life....and he would not have had it any other way....it did have some positive effects on my son....the structure of team/school and the desire/need to remain eligible worked in his favor as he obtained his degree that will be with him for life.....

HOWEVER, many players who were recruited stopped playing when the level of baseball committment and college life conflicted....

As a parent, I sympathize with you and hope you can assist him to work out his decisions with you and that you can support him regardless of what he chooses....

as an "OLD-TIMER" I have seen many parents come and go over the years.....In the reality of baseball, all players stop playing...and its hard to see some posters saying they insist that "the bopper" hit 100 balls a day and attend this select camp or that travel team, only to see them drift away when "the bopper" decides that girls, or music or football is his true passion.......

There is a fine line between supporting and pressuring....I was lucky that my son at 12 told me my pressuring "wasnt helping".........

My last advice comes under the heading of measuring what success is.....If your son never plays another inning of baseball beyond HS and has enjoyed it.. that is success....

If only making it to Pro ball or D1 is the measure of success then the vast majority of parents will be disapointed....

For most players, HS will be the last organized baseball they will ever play........a much smaller group will go on and play college ball and and even smaller group will have a go at professional baseball, a even smaller group will play Major League baseball....and on and on to the steps of Cooperstown....

There are levels of success along the way....

best wishes!