Skip to main content

Reply to "Old Timers, Please Weigh In!"

Gameday - I'm not an oldtimer but I have three sons that play baseball. You've received some great advise. I'll share a little from my personal experience that might be helpful.

You and your spouse know your kid better than anyone. Like clockwork, each of my kids, at age 14, began to question how much they wanted to put into baseball. Hormones and everything else about being 14 was a part of how they were looking at it. For two of them we felt it was more the anxiety of suddenly competing against kids 3 and 4 years older.

We supported each one differently. For one, we made him go to a tryout for an elite team. He complained and complained but on Saturday morning he had on his uniform before I even got out of bed. He continued to complained on the drive there that we 'made him go to the tryouts'. We knew he just needed a push. He is now playing D1 ball and he will tell now that he is glad we pushed him. He really enjoyed playing with those elite teams.

My middle son was different. Nothing about his daily routine indicated he wanted to work at baseball much, and we had no indications it was anxiety. So, we let him drop back on the intensity.

My youngest son is just a few years away from that phase. We pushed a little because we felt he just needed a little help getting over the nervousness and anxiety of try-outs. Up until 14 he never had to go to a real try-out. Coaches were always lining up to get him on their team. So, we put him in a few try-out/showcase situations and he quickly got over that phase once he saw how much fun it could be to play with a group of kids as good or better than he was.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. Supporting your son doesn't always mean that you let them make the decision.