Skip to main content

Reply to "On Field Tests"

coach2709 posted:
cabbagedad posted:

I might not be in the same "thought" arena since you mentioned exit speed and velo but...

We, on occasion, do various run times... 60, home to 1st, home to 2nd.  Of course there is C pop time.  We time OF transfer/throw by setting up a square screen at about 150', hit fly balls/ground balls and time touch of glove to touch of net.  Same can be done with IF by rolling to desired location and timing glove to 1b glove.  We set up cones and track degree of success with hitting oppo, up the middle, bunts thru cones.

We time various cone drills (speed & agility) during winter workouts.  

If not just measuring individuals, we time groups on around-the-horn and 4-man straight relays back and forth.  

Can you explain the layout of the outfield transfer / throw release with the screen more?  I understand the concept but where do you put the players, where exactly is the screen, do they have a "line" they have to stay behind? I'm having a hard time picturing how you lay this out.

What you and Ironhorse have put is awesome stuff.  I'm going to steal.....borrow it.

Sure, Coach,

Nothing fancy.  I know I said "hit" fly balls/ground balls but depending on your fungo accuracy, you can also throw the fly ball and ground ball reps for consistency.  

Standard line of players.  First man up steps out for his rep.  Hit/throw a routine fly so that the fielder has time to get behind and through his throw.  Like I said, set up the square screen approximately 150' from the spot where reps will be fielded.  Use a stopwatch (any smartphone these days) that is triggered by the fly ball touching the glove and then the fielder's throw touching the net.  Be consistent with where and how high the rep is hit/thrown.  With each rep fielded at the same spot with the same arc, this gives the measured time credibility when compared to other fielders or same fielder's previous efforts that day.  The same can be done for OF grounders.  Pick the best patch of grass so that the focus can be entirely on a quick transfer and strong accurate throw.  Requiring the throw to hit the screen keeps the "accurate" aspect in the equation.  If you are throwing the reps, you can probably run the stopwatch yourself.  If you are hitting a fungo, you may need to recruit a timer.  

This drill is not meant to be something you set up exactly the same next time so you can keep ongoing times.  It is just a timed competition for that day that forces focus on a quick transfer and strong throw.