Skip to main content

Reply to "On the verge of a decision."

I posted something similar on another thread but I believe that I can offer some insights that may be relevant here. I have 2 sons playing baseball, 1 at an academic D3 in the Midwest and another at our local So Cal Juco.  One son wanted to go to an academic school but still play baseball and D3 fit the bill. My other son turned down 2 NAIA schools with baseball scholarships because he wanted to try to get his grades up and possibly to transfer to a more academic and/or d1/d2 school that what he could have done straight out of HS. Academic schools were off the board for him. He is also young for his age so the Juco would also give him a chance to mature for a year. 

Have you looked at the presentage of sophomores from the Juco that go on and transfer and to where? Many Juco ball players still do not transfer to  D1 or even D2. What are the chances of starting at the JUCO? Some can be very competitive.  If you are not a 2 year starter the chances of going to D1 or D2 drop. 

In regards to school and putting baseball aside, the cost going the JUCO route is better for the vast majority of families, however if you come from a low income family and especially if you have descent grades such as B's or better, many 4 years have institutional aid and grants to supplement the state and Federal aid offered so the cost of a 4 year school may not be out of reach at all and in some cases be next to 0

If financing the school is not going to be problem, fill out the fafca and css forms and apply EA or RD to the d 3 schools. If you get in compare what they give in aid.  We found that the private schools' aid can vary by as much as 10-20 K.  The merit scholar scholarship from my son's academic D3  made the cost competitive to the local cal university system. 

Finally talk it over with your parents and coaches, those adults who know you best and weigh the pros and cons. 

Good luck