Skip to main content

Reply to "One example of how HS stats become questionable."

baseballdad65 posted:

Our team plays at the 4A level in North Carolina. 4A is our highest classification.  We just made the 3rd round of the playoffs and are 22-3 on the year.  We do not steal a lot of bases.  Here is our stats for the year the only error is the actual stolen bases and attempts are in the wrong columns. We have played 25 games and are only 33 of 46 on stolen bases.  Our coach has always kept an accurate book.  He is also the Pitching Coach for the Evoshield Canes 17U National team.  

The link didn’t work for me. What school is it? I’ll look myself.

If you’ve swiped 33 you’re way above the national average.

Nothing against your coach, but when it comes to SB’s especially I’ve found very few coaches who score them accurately. It may be that the. It may be that they are well versed in the stolen base scoring rules, but that’s only half of what’s necessary when it comes to scoring SB’s correctly.

The biggest problem is having to pay close attention to the runners in relation to the pitcher. FI, runner on 1st and the ball gets by the catcher. Most would score it a PB or WP, but it very well could be a SBA. If the runner takes off before the pitch is delivered and gets to 2nd safely, it doesn’t matter how rotten the pitch was, it’s still a SB. Likewise, if the runner doesn’t take off until he sees a pitch touching the dirt, if he reaches 2nd safely it’s a WP.

Of course there’s gonna be some instances where those things aren’t true, but in general they are. I’ve found most people doing other things besides scoring, like coaching or even just watching the game will be concentrating on the pitcher and batter because that’s where the “action” is, and completely miss whether the runner takes off or not.