Skip to main content

Reply to "One Middle School Baseball Experience"

@22and25 posted:

Some people around here lament the fact that we don’t have middle school baseball.  I am glad we didn’t have to deal with it.  I just wonder if those living in a area with middle school baseball, do you feel some obligation to play?  Does the high school coach care if your kid played on the middle schools team?  Admittedly, it’s a foreign concept to me because we have never had it in Texas.

I like MS ball because it is a bridge to HS.  Also, for average talent kids (I had one of those), he had a chance to play on a school team (he was cut in HS).  All my kids played MS basketball as well, but not HS ball for the same reasons.  For those really good kids, it is not a big benefit, but I think it is good for the average kid or for kids who had potential, but just didn't get picked up by a travel team.

As with everything, it depends on the coaches to a degree.  We didn't play to win at all costs (even though we won most of our games).  Also, there were many more practices, except the last year, where the fact that we had brand new fields was a burden.  Don't get me started on a community building brand new shiny fields and then severely limiting anybody practicing on them.....

Last edited by Viking0