Skip to main content

Reply to "One Middle School Baseball Experience"

Remember when I said the coach would always PR for my kid in MS?  He’s an example of how it was for spite and also an example of MS ball play.  When he went for the PR, it wasn’t always a trade up for speed.  He would use anyone for a PR (as long as it meant sitting my kid down).  One time, he PR with a slow kid.  How slow?  Well, the kid eventually made it to 3rd and created a 1st and 3rd BR situation with no outs.  Next batter hits a grounder to short.  The defense elects to go for two and eat the run.  SS flips to second, and then the 2B throws to 1B for the DP.  The PR on 3rd broke as soon as the SS threw to 2B.  However, the 1B, after completing the DP, then wheeled and threw to home.  And, the PR on 3rd was out at home (for the 3rd out) by at least 3 feet.  Triple play, inning over.  And, yes, he was “running” the whole time.  And, it wasn’t like it was a big league quality turning of a DP.  It was very slow unfolding.  At least 10 seconds.  Maybe more?  And, the PR on 3rd couldn’t make it home in less than 10 seconds.