Skip to main content

Reply to "One Recruiting Story"

@Francis7 posted:

I want to hear that one @mattys !

quick version:

started at 8u/9u with a good baseball guy/horrible business guy. didn't know that at the time.  i knew it was time to skedaddle when he asked for his monthly fees in cash.   turns out he wasn't paying his assistant coaches and one, a future mlb pitcher and his equally big and talented cousin were about to lay him out.

moved on to a team coached by one of his coaches.  another great youth coach and baseball guy but equally a train wreck .  his upside was that he knew that.  he was starting a team and was going to have his girlfriend (long term, very smart and organized) and sister (accountant) run the business while he just did on-field stuff. 

things went well until, at about the same time, his girlfriend's godbrother was murdered and his nephew (the cousin from the first team) discovered he had cancer during a physical before a procase after he finished college.  GF went to pieces bc the godbrother was someone she grew up with and she turned to drink and drugs.  life spiraled out of control for a while.  Sister couldn't work on the team business (understandibly) bc of her son's medical condition.  that left the trainwreck to run the team. 

we made it through cooperstown with me and another parent running a lot of it.  no financial incentives...just to keep the team together. 

long story short, my son ended up with a great coach and a pretty bright future so far. 

the nephew, thankfully, is cancer free. he tried to come back but didn't have it in him after a year of chemo.  he got his barber's license and moved to hawaii.  he told me that they prescribed him medical marijuana for the chemo and he kinda liked it!  now he's doing well and enjoying all that life has to offer.

the gf eventually straightened up, got her masters and is doing well. 

the trainwreck coach is doing better.  his life went haywire for a while but he seems to be digging himself out.  i have nothing but love for him but i wouldn't trust him with a cent of my money.  as many messed up things that happened, i highly doubt that anything he did was malicious.  he truly loved the kids.  He's just bad at being an adult sometimes.