Skip to main content

Reply to "One Sport Athletes(?)"

^^^^

I'm always flabbergasted when I read stories like that one above.

Our younger son attended a HS that routinely sends about 30 athletes onto D1 schools every single year.  Alums include Kerri Walsh, Brandi Chastain and Aaron Gordon.  Some of their teams are routinely nationally ranked.  SI had them as a top-10 HS athletic program for many of the 6 years we had two of our kids there.

They bend over backwards to encourage athletes to play multiple sports.  When our son was indecisive all summer about playing football, they allowed him onto the team the week before school started with no penalty whatsoever.  He started about half of the games that year.  Another baseball player who had made the eventual state championship basketball team, but wasn't playing too much tried to quit so he could get onto the baseball field - he wasn't allowed due to not keeping his original commitment.  He was later a supplemental 1st round pick in the MLB draft.  He was also a 4-year water polo player.

There IS another high powered HS in that area that discourages multi-sport athletes.  For that, they have lost at least one very good football/baseball player in the last year.

I just don't get this institutionalized discouraging of multi-sport athletes.  Stanford is NOT in that club.  They have many examples of 2-sport athletes over the years including John Elway.