Skip to main content

Reply to "One Sport Athletes(?)"

My kids went to a large classification school that was on the lower end of the large scale. The high school sent a lot of athletes to college sports mostly at the D3 level. But every sport had it's D1 players.

Girls were treated differently. There were some very good female athletes. But it was not in the quantity of male athletes. Girls were encouraged to play two or three sports. 

Boys were another story. A majority of the male coaches thought they owned their players. My son played three sports freshman year. Soph year he was cut from the basketball program for not playing in a summer basketball league and missing optional workouts all year. He was the only soccer player not playing summer travel. It irked the coach. My son attended summer goalie camps to appease him. The baseball coach was one of the few coaches who encouraged multiple sports. Seven players played two sports. But they were warned about attending winter workouts. There was a 5:45 am workout session twice a week for those playing winter sports.