Skip to main content

Reply to "One Way To Look At A College Baseball Career"

@RJM posted:

This board keeps me thinking about when my kids played from preteen through college. At 33 and 28 they almost never mention anything about their journey. Anything connected to the journey is about teammates who became friends they still have contact. The conversation about former teammates is more likely about jobs and kids and not baseball/softball.

100% RJM.   The only time I've heard my son ever bring up one of his college baseball experiences was at his wedding when he had about 6-7 former teammates in attendence.  Otherwise a typical conversation with him is about his teammates, what they are doing and where they are living.

I stay in touch with my former college teammates, but we rarely talk about our college sporting experiences.   It is always about family, career, and when and where we are going to get together next.  Nobody wants to be Al Bundy or Uncle Rico.  For those that have played college sports you know how many talented athletes are out there in the world.  It can be very humbling.

My middle son and youngest son are the same way.  They don't talk about their high school experiences only what is going on with former teammates.   Just this past weekend, one of my middle son's high school teammates passed away at 25 years old.   Great kid and very sad situation.     

Last edited by fenwaysouth