Skip to main content

Reply to "Online strength training program for baseball players? Video based, at home?"

@22and25 posted:

There are plenty of quality programs available using sound exercise science with a track record of results.  Waiting for the next internet guru to discover the fountain of velo is a pipe dream.  Not everyone who deadlifts 2.5x their body weight can throw 90 and everyone throwing 90 can’t deadlift 2.5x their body weight.

Training the body to throw as close to one’s genetic potential as possible boils down to a few key elements.  Strength, mobility and movement patterns tailored to an individuals physiology.  Some guys are twitchy, some guys are stretchy and some guys are brutes.  Find out which one you are and train with a program tailored to you.

this is the part that got me interested, actually. if I read it right, he's saying that you can throw "90" if you can't hit the metrics and that you can hit the metrics and not be able to throw "90", but that hitting the metrics prepares your body to throw that number safely.  I like that he takes this approach (on the face of it, at least) and stresses building the machine over making the machine work beyond its capabilities.