Skip to main content

Reply to "Only 70 Days!"

quote:
Originally posted by tychco:

CHHS has all three starting pitchers back from a playoff team a year ago. Also, a quality hitting team. They are the District 5-5A odds-on favorite.

Keller will be very strong at the plate and Merck on the mound every other district game. Playoff team for sure.

Southlake Carroll graduated all but three varsity players, but they always have talent and many of their JV players would start for other schools' varsity teams.

Richland looks to be the most improved team in the district with some younger players stepping into key roles, especially on the mound.

Grapevine returns much of their team, including starting pitching. OF is where they were hit the hardest with graduation, but they will be tough.

Northwest was very young last year, so much of the team is back. More arms available, but no clear ace. Pitching will have to carry the spotty hitting...if that happens, will compete.

Keller Central seems to always be a wild card in this district. Usually hits well and can beat the best on any given day, but can also lose to the worst. Hard team to read.

Haltom has a new coach I think, so look for them to improve, but it may not be this year. Need to develop the younger players, but should be a force in future years.

Watching Keller this fall I will say that they should compete for the 5-5A title. They are deeper in arms than any time in my memory.

They hit the ball well 1-9 and will have as solid as an infield as last year.

The key is going to be Coach Stramps ability to turn some infielders into outfielders. They have one true outfielder on their projected roster. While last years outfield was patched together and they competed, it ended up costing them in a critical situation against Coppell.

The biggest loss to Keller in the offseason was two of their coaching staff.

Colleyville and Southlake will be tough and I predict that they and Keller will fight it out for the top three spots.

I will give the nod to Richland for the fourth playoff spot just because I have so much respect for Coach Wells. He plays small ball and is very aggressive on the bases and will manufacture runs. He also works the umpires better than most coaches I've ever seen.