Skip to main content

Reply to "Open Tryout vs. Commitment?"

quote:
To ask a player to come try out, then inform him he needs to get into the school and show up for a CHANCE to play doesn't seem right, but he was being honest about the situation. For me that doesn't fly, but then it may for someone else.

Imagine your son committing to a large D1 and showing up in the fall to discover 45-50 other players are there too. While a school can have an unlimited amount on their roster, less than 30 can make the actual travel roster, 25 for post season play for D1. So do know it happens everywhere in every situation, often times coaches not being honest with intentions about your son or his game plan for his next squad.

There are MANY top Div 1 schools that do not actively recruit. By this I mean they very seldom go to scouting events outside of their area, rely heavily on the local talent and the fact that many would give anything to play at their school, seen or unseen. My son was recruited by 3 top D1 schools, who never once had seen him play, only that his name was on a rankings list and that meant he was good. Personally he didn't want to go play somewhere where someone had not seen him play, or at a skills showcase at least or at their camp.

When seeking out the right situation for your son, I would pay attention to the recruiters who have seen your son play, or have had someone (lots of recruiters have eyes everywhere) given a recommendation. That means they really want him to play for the team, not "try out" in the fall. Chances are if they are really interested the coach will find a way to see your son. This way, he (your son)doesn't have to get to fall practice to "try out" for the coach whether it be D1,2 or 3. He knows that he is guaranteed a spot on the team for at least one year, regardless of whether he plays everyday or is a sub or becomes a redshirt, and he can make it HIS choice if he wants to stay or leave, not the coaches.
I was told something once, I have passed it on here and will again. When seriously considering where to go play, it should be at a school where the recruiting coach and HC have done their job, finding the best talent they can afford to have, without having to disappoint recruits (top talent or not) when they show up to compete against double a roster size in the fall just for a roster spot. Parents and players are so blinded by the fact that their son got an offer from a top 25 school in the country, only to find out nightmares occur everyday. I would imagine this happens in all divisions.
Be aware that this situation can happen to anyone, my son telling me that some of the guys he met at the cape (top talent) made choices that were top schools, but not necessarily good choices in the end for them. After being at these top schools many have made choices to go to smaller programs where they can start everyday, instead of playing behind someone else or competing every year against 5 or 6 for teh same position. Very few coaches actually do take their recruits and make them better players for their programs. How can you get enough individual instruction with 45 on a roster and 3-4 coaches? Many become revolving doors.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread, just that we come up against so many different recruiting stories, some seem good some seem bad, but in the end, happiness will be where your son will have a fair chance from the first time he sets foot on the field because he was truely wanted for whatever the coaches saw in him, not just another to try out.