Skip to main content

Reply to "Open Tryout vs. Commitment?"

quote:
To ask a player to come try out, then inform him he needs to get into the school and show up for a CHANCE to play doesn't seem right, but he was being honest about the situation. For me that doesn't fly, but then it may for someone else.

It just seems to me that choosing a team that way is a little lazy. And safe! So I can see part of the reason he does it. He doesn't want to take any risks on someone he hasn't seen try out for 4-5 weeks in the fall. But how do other coaches manage it? A little homework, a little scouting, a couple of phone calls and bam, he pulls the trigger right? Sure it's risky but so is the way the coach in question does it. A kid could look like All American material at the fall try out and go into the tank in the spring when it counts right?
He told us his Asst. coach is going to three TOP96 events in the next few weeks but he really couldn't tell us why, given his style of player selection. It just seems weird. If he per chance ever reads this thread, I think he's a nice enough guy! But if he really wants to know what the topper was for my son not being thrilled with his program it's this: The coach is also the D-line coach for the football team and admitted that he doesn't even make it to all the fall practices due to his football "obligations". That was the clincher right there.