Skip to main content

Reply to "Open Tryout vs. Commitment?"

We rejected that school three years ago, when I was struck by how unprepared and, dare I say, underinvolved this particular coach seemed with regards to recruiting and team selection, in season and off season conditioning, and coordination/ advocacy of summer baseball opportunities for his players. I believe that this team's record adequately reflects his preparation and commitment to the entirety of the process, relative to his peers.

This particular coach has been there for a long time at the same school...I suspect he's anchored in a time when D-III players, budgets, and competition weren't what they have become.

Still, some of the most successful and professional coaches in D-III have or have had 20-30 year tenures. Class and talent trumps the ravages of time. Some get wise, others just get old.

We have met a number of wonderfully motivated, prepared, and informed D-III coaches over the years. Believe me, the age of the coach, the academic reputation of the school, and competitiveness of the particular conference are independent of the work-habits of the head coach- some guys have it, and sadly, some don't.

In my opinion and limited experience, this guy doesn't. When you consider the cost of this particular school, and the difficulty of getting academic money there, you need to re-consider. If your kid can play, flee.

C/D