Skip to main content

Reply to "Open Tryout vs. Commitment?"

Here's a pretty cool story I read in the paper this AM that falls into this discussion on a couple of levels. Jeff Tardif of the Framingham (MA) American Legion team was all set to attend Trinity (CT) this fall. The newspaper article said he had been accepted and was planning to "WALK ON". After a nice pitching performance in the State Championships in Sandwich MA, Coach Aoki of Boston College offered him a scholarship on the spot! Bye bye Trinity.
So, I guess Trinity is one of those schools that requires you to enroll and then try out? Surely Tardif had other options because he has been lights out all year, HS and Legion. I don't get it.
Another way it relates is maybe the coach invited him to walk on, only to have the player take a better offer, you know "the kid who didn't show up".
Anyway, it's an interesting story that probably plays out a lot. I think until these DIII schools start offering a player something more concrete about their future it will happen again and again. It's a risk some schools are willing to take I finding out more and more.

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/sportsColumnists/view...37371&format=&page=1