Skip to main content

Reply to "Open Tryout vs. Commitment?"

Just as a follow up to the initial question. Those of you who were there heard this too. At the College Select in Binghamton a few weeks ago they had a DIII coach speaking who was basically asked this question. He stated (to paraphrase), that if he's gone through the work to see a player, watch his video, make phone calls, invite him for a visit, make his pitch to the player, have the player agree to come to the school and play, that he (the coach) would show the utmost loyalty to the player he's actively recruited. In other words "If I've recruited you and convinced you to come to my school, you have a spot on my team". He said that he belives that many many other DIII coaches operate the same way. Music to my ears. He fell short of saying that the spot was guaranteed, but he said that a kid would really have to screw up bad (show up in poor shape, c*rappy attitude ect...) to lose his slot as a freshman. And he also said he shows the same loyalty to his returning players, which is in contrast to the Gettysburg coach who stated to us that he has no problem with the wholesale cutting of upperclassman role players in order to make room for promising freshmen.