Skip to main content

Reply to "Opinion on parent/coach conflict over health"

Originally Posted by IEBSBL:

Originally Posted by d8:

Originally Posted by Dad04:

High school is entry level coaching. Some work out, some don't.

Who ever posts something like this and believes it is a Jack Hole.  Some of the greatest baseball coaches I have ever been around are HS baseball coaches.  In every work place there are bad examples of professionals. 

No need for name calling or to be so defensive.  The poster is correct for the most part.  I have coached with and for many great hs coaches.  Many IHSA hall of fame coaches.  In fact a recent inductee is someone I coached once upon a time.  I would like to think I have studied my craft and know the game pretty well.  But (yes there is a but) I first started coaching baseball cause I was told they needed another coach.  I was really only concerned about basketball when I first started teaching.  I was a baseball fan and was probably at the level of a lot of youth parent coaches - knew just enough to be dangerous.  From there its a choice, do you take pride in what you do and learn or do you just take up space.  Now keep in mind my first hs baseball coaching assignment was at a state championship level program.  Imagine the 'coaches' they have to drag out for  lesser programs.  And yes I have seen idiots even at the varsity level.  For assistant spots where I coach they get almost no applicants.  Some go on to be great coaches and I agree with you some of the great ones are no doubt as good as any D1 or even mlb coaches/managers and I say that with confidence.   But that is not the majority and hs coaching is rather entry level.