Skip to main content

Reply to "Opinion on parent/coach conflict over health"

Originally Posted by ironhorse:

Originally Posted by jolietboy:
I first started coaching baseball cause I was told they needed another coach.  I was really only concerned about basketball when I first started teaching.  

And no offense to you, but I don't believe you are a HS varsity head coach (I could be wrong, so seriously, no offense). So it would stand to reason that if you become a HC it would not be an entry level position. Sure at the freshman ranks it may be, just like "select" organizations hire kids just done playing college to coach their younger, less prestigious groups.

But to insinuate that being a HS varsity HC is an entry level position is stupid. Not saying in some small towns where baseball isn't important that it doesn't happen, but in most decent baseball situations there's nothing entry level about it.

You are correct.  I am program pitching coach.  Last year worked strictly with varsity this year working with pitchers on all levels.  Always been a pitching coach.  Never applied for a HC position.  Was never really interested in being a HC.  That was my basketball gig.  No offense taken.  But if I were a HC I certainly would not consider myself entry level as I have spent many years learning the game.  And you are correct the better programs - as I stated - have high quality head coaches.  Mainly I just don't like name calling on these boards so I tend to defend those who are called names for no good reason.  And I still think the poster who called hs coaching entry level is somewhat correct.  And I stand by my statement after many years of coaching that there are a fair share of varsity head coaches who are not the sharpest knives in the drawer.  And let's not forget a lot of very capable people start in entry level positions.  It's not necessarily an insult.  Hs is the lowest level of real baseball.  Then comes college, then pro.  And even those could be broken into divisions.  A lot of college coaches got their start coaching hs.  Some great ones decide they like it and stay there.