Skip to main content

Reply to "Opinion on parent/coach conflict over health"

Originally Posted by jolietboy:
Originally Posted by ironhorse:

Originally Posted by lionbaseball:

I will give a recent example as to my thought process of protecting your son's arm health. 

My son pitched 3 innings to get the save on a Tuesday, 66 P.C.  He had one inning where he just couldn't find the strike zone.  

Our team is in the process of making up two district games so Wednesday we play out of town and after the 5th inning I see my son warming up.  I see the he and the coach talking when he takes the mound in the 6th and evidently my son says he was OK with just one inning. He threw 22 pitches that inning.   I could tell from my radar gun that he was down 3 mph cruising velocity. 

Personally I would have rather my son not see the mound for 3 days but my goal is to get my son to stand up for himself as I may not be there. 

We play again today so if he was your son would you tell him to tell the coach he is not good for today?  I will.   

I realize that the coach gets caught up in the game.  I also realize he doesn't keep track of P.C.  So it's up to my son and I to look out for himself. 

1. Your HC doesn't keep track of pitch counts? That's just lazy and irresponsible.

2. You bring your own radar gun? That's a little over the top.

I bring my pocket radar everywhere we go.  Gun every kid in sight.  Kind of a hobby and habit now.  As a pitching coach I am always curious just how many kids are really throwing this or that.  Plus it lets me know exactly where my son stands.  No.guesswork.  No assumptions just facts.  I like it that way.

Whew.  I'm glad I'm not the only one.  Yeah, I see it more of a tool.  The MLB sees radar as important also.  

I know some see it as a way of bragging but I did this last year when my son was averaging 76 mph.  The only part I don't like is when a Dad comes to me to ask what his son is throwing and when its 5-7 mph lower than expected gray clouds start coming out. 

I can't wait to use my radar gun during 16U travel ball this summer.  I know I'm going to see some high 80's.