Skip to main content

Reply to "Opinion on parent/coach conflict over health"

Originally Posted by TPM:
Originally Posted by lionbaseball:
Originally Posted by ironhorse:
Originally Posted by Back foot slider:

Lion,

I definitely would expect to NOT see your son throw today.  66 pitches in three innings was not efficient work, and had at least one big inning.  The very next day throwing 22 pitches was also not very efficient, and likely had high stress throws.  So two days in a row with a tally of 88 pitches, with at least a few long innings.....he should be done until next week.

In my mind, throwing back to back days period is irresponsible, regardless of pitch count. Typically HS arms aren't used to or conditioned to do that. 

In my humble little mind, days of rest mean a lot more to health than overall pitch count (with obvious limitations).

Well in our 3rd game of the week my son was scheduled to start but he pulled himself out during warming up on the mound because he actually felt a pain in his shoulder. He said it felt like something tore.  I told him before the game, once I found out his was to start pitching, to just pull himself out after the 1st inning.  I didn't know it was actual pain until after the game. 

This is why the UIL is neglecting the health of our kids by not mandating pitch counts and enforcing it.  Maybe pitch count will eventually be treated as seriously as concussions in football. 

Not sure if I consider this more of a coaching problem or a parental problem.

I have no issue with parents using radar guns, if they are used for the right purpose and in the right way.

You seem to get more enjoyment over getting attention more than what the gun is telling you about your son. If you gun every pitcher you see (on other teams) and a college HC notices, chances are your son will never get a sniff from that guy. That right there tells a lot to the coach and they don't want to be bothered dealing with that, or from kids that have folks with that parental attitude. This is not to cut you down, only to warn and give advice  that pretending to be a D1 coach gunning pitchers at a game, is not really amusing. Be careful what you post here. if you think no one is reading,  only just a bunch of dumb parents, you are WRONG. 

The dip in velocity actually told you there was an issue the other day. So IMO that tells me that you don't really know how to use that gun as a tool, rather a toy.

You did state that you would tell the coach that your son had already pitched too much this week. And you asked for our opinion as to what we would do.

But you let him go out there and warm up and made a plan that he would pull himself out?  I just don't get that.

Now your son has an issue, tells me that he most likely has pitched too much in many situations. Injuries just don't happen in a week. So that is on you.

Unfortunately, its the pitcher that ends up suffering. Its really sad that between one coach and one parent no one is looking out for his well being.

You seem to want people here to think that you have a lots of balls, but seems to me that you are not using them the way you should.  You dont have to be at every game, speak up and let the coach know where you stand.

And put the damn gun away.

Well you couldn't be more wrong in so many ways.  You have no problem with using a radar gun but put the gun away?  

I am looking out for the well being of my son.  In fact I'm the only one.  

If I was complaining about my son going out on the football field with a concussion I wouldn't be accused of meddling or shifting blame to someone else.   I consider pitch count to be just as serious as concussions in football.  It's also unfortunate that the UIL deems playing 4 games in one week to inconsequential.  Tell that to our catcher whose knees are getting beat up. 

No, I don't pretend to be a D1 coach.  If you don't get my humor then don't read my posts. 

I'm impressed that your son made it to the minors but that doesn't make you an expert or guru in baseball.  I suggest you implement a P.C. (post count). 

As my wife can attest, don't tell me what to do.   

Radar gun will not be put away.