Skip to main content

Reply to "Opinions needed by this Thanksgiving weekend"

quote:
Originally posted by nhmonty:
Our son played football, baseketball and baseball his first three years in HS. He faced the same decision as your son his senior year. He already had a verbal to D1 baseball school and some interest from pro teams.

He was torn if he should concentrate on baseball his senior year. I told him to talk to his future college coach and some of the scouts who had contacted them. To a person, they all said they liked multiple sport athtletes - they said play or he would regret it. They said he would have plenty of time for baseball in the future.

He played all three sports his senior year. His football lost in the championship game in front of a packed house, his basketball team went to the semis and played in front of 3,000 people in what many have called one of best r HS games in our states hsitory. He's real glad he played and will have these memories for a lifetime. By the way this baseball team won its third straight championship in June. Lucky kid.

Much like mine...knew that their future was baseball...One was comitted, the other not...but they were pretty certain there was a place for them in college baseball somewhere, had already been visible on the reruting trail, and trusted their talent and work ethic and were willing to take the risk. Understood the bigger risk from football so they decided not to play that one despite lots of pressure. But for mine there was really no choice to be made on their part for basketball...4 years of basketball was really fun for them, in part because it came with absolutely no future expectations and so offered them an entirely different athletic experience...one I know that they value(d) a great deal.

I too think it has to be their decision.

Cool 44