Skip to main content

Reply to "Opinions needed by this Thanksgiving weekend"

I would add that there are risks...opportunity cost...injury...visibility...and the pressure and stress gets a great deal more intense in the spring for both you and your son when the other players are out on the field, or in some cases signing and yours is still in the gym...

Specifically to your situation...I would definately check wih the baseball and basketball coach and see what they feel...is there any sharing or working with players...some are great about it and others are not only dead set against it but make it a point to serioulsy punish any players who play other sports...also check the school/league/state rules...some allow concurrent play/practice others do not..I would also tell my son that he would have to be preparing for baseball reagrdless of hoop...weights if hoop did not, throwing/bullpens...so that he goes into baseball fully ready to go...which means a VERY full schedule, and he would need to understand that that was a serious part of any consideration. Would also talk to any schools that have expressed an interest and see how they felt. Likley you will be advised to go to holiday camps, but it has been our experience that they are an expensive long shot...though it was a big stressor not to go. Depending upon your son's level of interest from schools to date for baseball, I would have plan B in the works, a fail safe option for college just in case something else bigger did not pop. I could be wrong but a 6'5" righty at 88 with good control and lots of upside, athletic enough to excel at hoop sounds a great opportunity for some school...particularly late. I have to figure that regardless of hoop or not, he will show them something in the spring...and the interest level will increase.

It was our experience/perception with my two that there were at least 4 recruitment periods...the summer/fall leading up to the early sign. Then a reshufflng of the deck and increased interest for a few for the early spring sign (Fall cleanup - often these were kids who were already being heavily recruited but fell through the cracks somehow and just missed an offer or for some reason did not sign.) Then a almsot new beginning in the sring with a long lag through the spring season so that teams could get a good handle on HS Seniors and JC kids, what kind of season the seniors and the JC kids were having...culminating in a late spring/early summer signing frenzy...(long after hoop ends and players get up to speed)...then a summer free for all when players changed their minds/ddin't get grades/get drafted/decide to go to JC TO get drafted, and those last sports were filled in a wild frenzy....right up until the first day of classes. Of the four, IMHO, the least important is the early spring time.

Again only yours can know...but the more info/opinons you have to look through the better.

Cool 44