Skip to main content

Reply to "Opting into MILB class action good/bad idea"

Regarding current MiLB players, I don't see how this won't come back and bite them if they opt in.  There is an amazing amount of talent to choose from when it comes to making it to MLB.  Yes, every player has to have skill, but there are still hundreds coming up every year that have skills equal to or greater than people currently on MLB rosters.  With that level of talent why wouldn't it be used against them if they opt into the lawsuit?

I once talked with a human resources employee about how she picks people for a job where there are thousands of qualified applicants, it was entry level.  Her answer shocked me.  She said if everyone is equal I have to rule them out due to other criteria that may have nothing to do with their skills and everything to do with luck.  First, I eliminate everyone that had a typo in their cover letter or resume, then I eliminate everyone that lives more than 10 miles from the job, then I eliminate anyone that has the same name of someone else in that department (it gets too complicated having 5 Jennifer's in one department), then I get down to even less relevant factors such as did they send their resume at 2am, or during normal hours, did they have an odd font...etc, and eventually I get down to a pool of about 20 applicants that we call in for interviews.

With thousands of qualified applicants why wouldn't MLB hold it against them?