Skip to main content

Reply to "Options?"

Swampboy and Floridafan, thank you both for replying!

Floridafan, he does have good movement on his four seam and also throws a nice two seamer with some sink.  When you said "..and a build that will impress, 170 is likely to do it." was that a typo and you meant 170 is not likely to do it? I can see the 170 working for and against him when being evaluated.  To me, not a baseball guy, I would see a skinny, young (17 when he graduates) kid throwing 90-91 and salivate at getting him into my college weight program and putting 20 pounds on him.

Swampboy, the velocity improvement is not as dramatic as I made it seem.  He is not trying to improve from 84 to 90, he was 86-87 and pitching injured, thus the 84 over this summer.  His trainer has identified leg and core strength as lacking and that is what he is working on now. Legs are huge muscle groups and a 50 percent increase in leg strength is easily achieved in a few months when working with an untrained subject. I am not going to name names, but I can assure everyone that if I mentioned his trainer's credentials and the roster of MLB players working with him every time we go in there, the "easily into the 90's" from my original post would not seem to be based on high hopes. He is basing this on seeing his mechanics, making a couple of very small adjustments, and increasing his strength and power production from the ground up.

I guess this is all irrelevant if he doesn't get there but my original post was based upon assuming that he does.  Obviously most schools are set now for 2015 RHP, I was just wondering if it is possible for him to get offers in May.  And if it is possible, would these schools be Mid-Majors, D2/3, or what?  What about high academic schools like Emory, MIT, Washington University, Ivy etc? Could the academic schools get him in that late? His grades and scores are good enough, and the pitching would certainly be good enough, but would it be too late? My walk on question from the original post was meant to say "invited walk on" not "guaranteed walk on", he would just want the opportunity to workout through the fall with the team and then let the chips fall where they may when it comes to making the team.  

Thanks again for taking the time guys.  The kid can pitch, he is just due for a break to go his way!