Skip to main content

Reply to "Options?"

I would step back and figure out what and where your son wants to go without baseball. Then put baseball in the equation. First there is LOTS of time left, particularly for an upside pitcher. My son did not commit until May 1st of his Sr year and had programs tell him not to worry about the May 1st deadline and would get him in up until August, you also have the draft in June and big programs lose pitchers to the draft. (or not)  I would separate the Ivy's and MIT from the other schools you mention, but even an Ivy might be able to fit in one more. MIT is in a whole separate world as far as academics. 

A lot of this really depends on what your son wants, if he is stuck on playing high level D1 ball then plan on going to a JC for even one year and then transfer, if this is really important to him, he could even take less than 12 units and not lose one year of eligibility, if getting a great education and playing baseball while he is at it then I would focus on the top D3 programs, he could likely find himself in the front of rotation of a place like Emory, but I will caution you that the top D3 programs have a lot of D1 pitchers on them. What they do have is the time to develop someone like your son without the roster restrictions so this could be a great alternative, again if this is what he wants to do. 

The top d3 programs are here:

http://www.d3baseball.com/top25/2014/2014-week-final

I would first figure out what is important for him and then it will be a little easier to figure out which way to go. I can tell you from personal experience there is a lot of time left, particularly for a pitcher who has been injured, my son had Mono and was also a late bloomer and had college programs looking at him during his Sr season up until the April time frame. 

That said you must have a plan and be working the plan.

Good Luck!

Last edited by BOF