Skip to main content

Reply to "Options for a 2023"

While I'd always be looking into any and all options you can, this seems like a fairly clear path to going the JUCO route.  It won't be easy, but I'd suggest looking for a JUCO program/coach that is big into grades and has academic support to back it up.  If baseball is a key component to him going to school and graduating, I'd also make roster size a big factor.  Ask yourself what would likely happen to him if he rode the bench.

While my 2021 son isn't in the exact same situation as yours, there are some similarities.  First off, my son has a 3.15 GPA.  No, that's not "bad," but it was a factor with regard to D1 and their abilities to offer him any academic money.  This was a bit of a mind blow for me, but his GPA is actually a concern with his future JUCO coach.  His team GPA is usually around 3.5 and he takes it VERY seriously.  If my son sits in the lower 3s GPA-wise this fall, the coach puts a bunch of requirements in place.  Extra study hall, mandatory time with tutors, etc.  The coach also keeps his rosters manageable.  Typically 32-35, but is running with 36 this year due to Covid.  Not a lot of JUCOs can say that, but they're out there if you look hard.

It's cliché and often leaves dads feeling dissatisfied when presented with it as advice, but getting bigger, stronger and faster is huge.  100% of players and parents will look you in the eye and say "he is/I am," but my experience is that it's much closer to 0% than it is 100%.  If a kid isn't working out at least 3-4 days a week (in addition to what everyone else is doing) on his own, he's not trying to get bigger, faster or stronger.  I didn't see my son truly get bigger, stronger and faster until he was doing it 7 days a week.  Once he started nearly obsessing over it is when I understood what it truly meant.  On my son's visit to the JUCO he committed to, the coach walked us through a "day in the life" of his players (inseason and offseason).  It was heavy, but the one piece that really stood out for me was this.  He said from 8:00pm on is when the kids have their "free time."  But then he said most of the players simply head back to the cages and get another 150-200 swings in.  In their "free" time.