Skip to main content

Reply to "Order a scout today, be there tomorrow???"

Nuke83, I don't think it could be a situation of "pay once"...Think about it...13-14 yr olds change alot in just a few months. Son grew 11" in 1 yr at that age...He was awkward as an ostrich...all legs & arms...just grappling with coordination...feet shooting out the end of cleats in 5 mo...Then once that growth spurt settles down a little, there will be other changes...so another eval next year, then again, & again...So now the kid is sophomore - junior...and you've been out 3-4-5 evals @ $150-$200 a pop???

That's a bunch of pitching lessons, or swings in a cage...or a showcase...or a WWBA tourney...

Parents need to pay attention, take off rose colored glasses, smell the coffee, do their homework...A LOT of homework! And develop a network of trusted advisers, folks who have walked in your shoes. 

Sons' pitching coach was a former MLB'er, so he got evaluated several times...True, we paid for the lessons...so we paid for the eval...But believe me, if sons' DESIRE & love of the game & competitive spirit + his  talent, tools & projectability weren't there, we would have had no reason to pursue it...

I think back on the kids on all the teams he played on from abt 10 yrs of age. Every year, more than a few dropped out, especially 12-15 yr olds.  Of his HS group (all 4 yrs), a handful went on to play college ball or were drafted each year. Of his College team 3-4 are still playing in the pros...just natural attrition...

Just my opinion, but based on experience, I'd be hesitant to use this kind of service. I'd be hesitant to form this kind of business...