Skip to main content

Reply to "Order a scout today, be there tomorrow???"

2020dad posted:

Let me clear something up here.  I assume the scam comment was directed at me.  I apologize my posts were a bit long so perhaps you didnt really read them.  But I said it was a scam at a certain price point.  I took very seriously my advice to 4seamer and made many suggestions on how this could be a useful and relevant service.  Even saying I would be a paying customer at a much higher price point with much more value built in.  I am giving him sincere advice and begged him NOT to take advantage of the naive hopeful.  My hope is he will do this the right way and it WON'T be a scam.  But at $150 or something similar it will be a scam pure and simple.  No reputable MLB scout is going to do this for that amount and then hand whatever percentage over to the owner operator.  

P.S. there is a place for anyone with any ability at all.  There are D3's everywhere willing to trade a uniform for tuition.

A little more about the service. We've been conducting case studies for going on a year. The price point is significantly lower than $1k, but higher than $150. The average professional scout makes about $1k per day in showcase events where they 'throw a net' on the field to try and write up as many players they - or the set event standards they are working for - feel are worthy. But you typically get blurbs... not an evaluation. We have been approached by numerous tournament circuits to provide scouts and declined them all as we wish to remain a true third-party evaluation service. One day it is possible someone like PG or BF or someone else will approach us - I don't know.

2020dad, you're correct - no scout is going to get up and drive to a local high school field at 4:00 to watch BP and fielding/bullpen practice, then watch the 6:00 game, and then go home 2 - 3 hours later and write up a detailed discussion or short form on a player for $150. They just spent 5 - 7 hours including travel time for this client. We've also been finding parents prefer their children to be seen on Sunday of tournament days. Those days become very, very long for a scout, many times sitting around for hours waiting for games to be played.

And remember, the scout is following only the client. Nobody else. He watches that player from the time he gets to the field to the time the player leaves the field. One-on-one.

As for this being a scam, perhaps some folks will think so. They thought that of BF and other groups when they started too. We believe we're heading in the right direction and with input from folks like on this board, we hope to only get better and better.