Skip to main content

Reply to "Order a scout today, be there tomorrow???"

2017LHPscrewball posted:

I'm guessing the $500-750 thrown out by CABBAGE is not far off the mark (Based on OP saying significantly less than $1k but more than $150).  Also wanted to point out some earlier posts by OP wherein he stated that the tools would be viewed/measured in game situation and not in a showcase format.  The OP supports the price point saying that the scout can end up spending 5-7 hours with travel time and pre-game activity (BP - hope they are not taking BP in the "barn" or the coach runs them off).  I am not the biggest fan of showcasing, but I'd take a showcase at $1K over a $750 hit-or-miss date every time.  The opportunity to present a development plan after watching a single game sound bogus.  Say the kid plays can't decide between infield, outfield, catching or pitching and gets stuck in RF during the game and never sees the ball (I refer you to GOOSEGG's comments about throws to the warm up kid).

If you followed 3 kids and charged a total of $750, then maybe it might start to make sense to me (I do not have more money than I know what to do with).  Besides, the scout will probably spend 5% of the actual time watching an individual kid's activities.  Heaven forbid he gets bored and misses the fly ball that the kid doesn't have to move for (again, no one on base but the scout will "project" how well he might throw out a runner at home).  The service does have value, but that value IMO (and based on how I would choose to spend my money) comes nowhere close at $750 and not real close at $500.

Concur... I don't think they're considering what parents would really pay to give it a shot.  More than $200-250 it misses the mark, they need to revamp their assumptions for the financial model.  There are clueless parents, but they'll be asking for feedback from other parents that have a clue before they cut a check.  They need to utilize the previously tenured scout who is fairly local, and semi retired and looking for supplemental income.  This guy still has the eye for tools and is dialed into the applicable collegiate levels a kid could possibly play.

At a high price I wouldn't be an investor in the model.  Been there done that...