Skip to main content

Reply to "Order a scout today, be there tomorrow???"

2017LHPscrewball posted:
I have seen countless suggestions/recomendations on this site about putting together video to assist in college recruiting.  On this site you can find pretty detailed suggestions on what to film, how to film and how to edit as well as how to package (there seems to be some minor disagreement as it relates to background music) including measurables and/or links to same.  There has not been a tremendous amount of push for a kid to capture game film for this purpose.  My question - how would you compare a standard recruiting video to on-site game review?  My only request is that the frequency (or lack thereof) be addressed and whether college coaches incorporate some concept of development (apart from projection) when they are looking at some 15yo's video (coach tells the kid they like what they see but would like to see more evidence of hitting development over the summer - as an example).

If "live" action is in fact superior to "showcase" action then do we need to rethink what content we put in the video we use for recruiting?

2017LHPscrew...

I think game footage, efficiently edited, is actually very valuable (as a compliment to the usual tools clips) and that, too, has been mentioned here from time to time.  It's just a much more difficult thing to compile for most.  Also, the "tools" aspect is what traditionally gets initial interest.  Then, schools will follow up to see the player live.  But if some of that is available with the video, all the better.