Skip to main content

Reply to "Order a scout today, be there tomorrow???"

2020Dad, you are in a spot that not many of us parents are in, you actually know baseball.  While I am in an area that has a plethora of people standing in line to evaluate 9u-18u kids many places don't have that. 

So if you don't have baseball knowledge and you don't have local knowledgeable evaluators then how do you know if your kid is even college material?  How about D1?  How do you know if the kid will even pass the eye test?   I think we have all seen the kid who comes up with the ball but dang that looked like a rough way to catch it...and that is how he ALWAYS catches it.  Getting an outside opinion before you let the kid be seen at a showcase could be of some serious value to people who don't have any other avenue.

Perhaps it's the word "Scout"...what if they called themselves traveling evaluators?  While I agree that technology is likely going to trump 75% of the scouts observations you still have to get the kid to the technology.  How do parents know if it's worth showcasing a kid without someone eye balling him and saying "yup get him to a showcase"?  What if someone could tell you "Your kid looks decent, but people will not like how he does _______.  A Slight modification will put him in a different class."....wouldn't that be worth something?