Skip to main content

Reply to "Order a scout today, be there tomorrow???"

Ask any college coach or scout what they liked best about a player and they will say how they prepare for a game. That would be observing a pitcher in the bullpen and a hitter in the cage, and on field preparation before a game. No stats for that.

Look my son was drafted in the 2nd round, Jeff Luhnow the scouting director at the time. Being that it was by the cardinals, his groundball metrics was of importance, as was his velo, size and his secondary stuff. Living close to Jupiter he was observed by many over a very long period of time.

He was what someone mentioned here as a early round draft failure. Not because of some tobacco spitting old scout who got it wrong but because of injury.  No stats for that. 

Wonder how often some of these folks actually get out to seriously scout players.  I mean seriously all over the country not just at local HS games. As a new coach, son is at HS and Juco games every other day looking for players that his program feels is a good fit. No stats for that. Just the eye and other stuff college coaches look for. Then an invite for a visit and your transcript. Recommendations. Thats all a college coach really needs. 

Would like to know from PG how many college coaches inquire about spin rates, etc to decide if a player should get an offer?  I know college coaches inquire to PG for scouting reports from their scouts. 

I think some of you got way off the track here, 4seamers plan isnt necessarily to identify future MLB players but help the family in the recruiting process, especially those that have a hard time trying to identify D1 and 2 from D3.  He just came here looking for feedback, not how ML clubs go about their business.

Yes, stats are important, many college coaches as well as ML teams use stats to help their players to understand where they need improvement. Players get this, this is probably the single most important reason why technology for stats are getting better and better. 

Sorry, just so sick of the same folks screaming that they hate the negativity here but all they do is create more.

BTW, about those old chewin tobacco scouts you all keep mentioning, tobacco isnt just reserved for them, but also by the younger generation that uses dip quite often, and more than likely used by young scouts as well as  young adults. Could be your kids. Its bigger than you think guys.

JMO

Last edited by TPM