Skip to main content

Reply to "Other 2020s getting screwed?"

@Jam24 posted:

My son, who is 5 weeks from heading to school, is being asked to "un-sign" his NLI so his money can go to the seniors and undrafted juniors who are staying at the D1 school he is supposedly attending. I hear this is happening everywhere, but I am surprised not to find talk about here. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thread. Seven freshman from his school alone were told they were no longer wanted, and 5 of them won't be going to school at all because they can't afford it. This is a travesty and a nightmare for those families. We can afford to get our son through freshman year, but he's not really interested in going to the school without baseball, and now it's too late to find something else. Anyone else in this position? Any advice? This is so difficult for 2020s who have already lost so much, and now to get the rug pulled out from under them again....

It's a bit late in the game. Take the money. Show up in the fall. The coach is just trying to make the best (best for him) of the current situation. He's thinking, it can't hurt to try to get this NLI-signing 2020 to volunteer to give up his scholarship after not talking to other schools and only applying to my school because I told him he was my guy.

Do you really think he thinks any less of your son since last November when he sent him the NLI? If he did think less he WOULD NOT HAVE SENT HIM A NLI! What's a coach to do? Perhaps he's just trying to do right by the kids that already play for him (as in not cutting their scholarships)? I would not feel bad for the coach, let him figure out how to divvy up what's left of his scholarship $'s after he has to honor his NLI's. Not your problem. The NCAA gave him a way to do it (11/./32, no 25% minimum, etc.). He's just waiting to see if your son will take the bait! If he doesn't who knows, he still has a good chance to make the team. Especially if some returning players decide not to return once they hear they won't be receiving the same $ amount as the previous year. How does your son feel about his abilities? Is he confident? I can tell you my son would be! Any player that bails is not showing much fight so why would a coach want a player like that? I'd take the confident fighter to play on MY team.

Of course he may not appreciate your son and his baseball days at that particular school may be short-lived.

But you wanna know what? His baseball days at that school or any other school may be short-lived anyway as MANY kids find out EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Regardless of whether the coach asked them to voluntarily give up a scholarship!

At least get a year of school in. There's no guarantee your son will make a JUCO roster or any other roster. Unless you have a GREAT offer RIGHT now I'd stay the course. He wants your son to give it up right now because he has to tell returning players what their next year of scholarship dollars will be before July 1st per NCAA.