Skip to main content

Reply to "Other 2020s getting screwed?"

@Pedaldad posted:

Hey, Remember when you quoted me a few months ago, when I wrote:

"Right now, a redshirt baseball player means a guy that didn't make the team in the Spring, isn't allowed to practice with his teammates, and has to struggle to make the team again next year."

Then you tried to correct me with this line:

"That just isn't true. Redshirts count towards the 35 man roster."

See it my way now.

Good to know you've been waiting for this moment. The line you used is still wrong. Redshirts can make the team, they are allowed to practice with the team, and the last is an opinion. 

Redshirt = not seeing the varsity field at any point in the season. If you are receiving money and redshirt, you're still on the 35 man so yes redshirts can count against the roster. 

Redshirts who are not receiving money and don't practice with the team are regular students. In every situation mentioned in my post, you can be a redshirt. You can make the 35 man as a walk-on and still redshirt. Redshirt on the 35 man roster is different from a redshirt not on the roster who can't use facilities. They are not part of the baseball program. What coaches do with non scholarship players not on the 35 man is at their discretion. 

So if Joey Walk-on gets cut in the fall and keeps attending his school as a regular student, he can use his redshirt season if he were to become an athlete at another school. If he transfers he will be a RSFr at School 2. He was not considered an athlete at School 1 just a regular student who burned one of his 5 years of eligibility.