Skip to main content

Reply to "Other 2020s getting screwed?"

@Pedaldad posted:

I hope you know that I just enjoyed messing around when you put up your current definition of a redshirt. 

But I'll give you the wildest example that I know.  One of my son's teammates was redshirted his freshman year, then blew out his UCL, had surgery, and got a medical redshirt his sophomore year.  He made three appearances as a junior before the season was canceled and eligibility reinstated.  He will be back as a senior next year in his first year of eligibility.  That's right, a college senior with 4 years of remaining eligibility.  Now that's wild.

Related odd sidenote - 

Son graduated HS in 2012, had a "lengthy" college playing career, taking 5 yrs to play 4 and has now been coaching college ball, going on his fourth year.  He has a friend from our area that he played youth travel ball with who is also a 2012.  That friend bounced around from JC to D2 to NAIA, dealing with multiple injuries along the way.  He somehow ended up entering his senior year at an NAIA school this past Spring, which of course was cut short due to Covid and, yes, he is coming back to play out his senior year in 2021.  It isn't too much of a stretch that that season gets cancelled, so he could potentially be back to play that senior year in 2022!  I would think a ten year college playing career would have to be a record!?!?!?  

Add to that oddness, son was instrumental in recruiting him to the NAIA school.  HC has got to be getting close to retirement.  Son would be high on the list as a candidate to replace him.  So, theoretically, he could be his friend's college HC for two years after having graduated in the same HS class.  And, pretty sure the friend is a year older.