Skip to main content

Reply to "Our updates"

There are a lot of factors at play with ACT/SAT, GPA's, and rigor. Balance that with how talented your player is. I was only speaking earlier of my kids experience and those that I know that were recruited (some attended these schools and some did not). I know a hockey player with a 26 who was offered a spot at Harvard and another that could not get a 28 to get into Yale. Both played for their u18 National team...many factors at play (and a different sport) from how good their national team was to their position and role on said team. One kid was a captain for USA and the other was a good player on a Scandinavian team. Both kids ended up at more selective private schools that were not Ivies but in the NE. Think Patriot League (with scholarships) and ACC/Big East type schools.  

The elite academic NESCAC schools have higher "hurdles" from our family's personal experience than the Ivies.

This is my takeaway advice for anyone seeking that path.

1. You must get on the radar of whatever Ivy or NESCAC or HA school you might want to attend. This can be thru attending camps (ranging from on campus camps to HF/Showball/Stanford) or those schools might have a relationship with a HS or Club coach or advisor. Look at the roster of the schools your are interested in attending and look where those kids are from.

2. Look at the current or past years roster. Then cross reference your kids stats with those players PBR/PG profiles...sometimes there is not much to see but it can be very insightful to see metrics of THOSE kids. Compare those to your kid at that stage in HS. Sometimes there is data or information from those kids twitter profiles too if you can find them.

3. The higher your GPA ,standardized test score, exit velocity, position velocity, fast ball velocity, and spin rate all help to make you a better fit for any of those institutions. Work on improving all of those things while doing extra curricular stuff outside your sport. Those extra curricular things could be the difference maker in a pre-read and acceptance where ever your kid wants to attend.

4. In some cases get on a travel team or regional team that would go to tourneys that the school's recruiting coordinator says he will attend or did in the past. Be sure to send an email to the schools R/C telling or reminding him of where you will be playing and the game times while cc'ing your travel coach on the email. Some R/C's will ask coach when you are scheduled to pitch or play a specific position and choose to attend that game. Remember that these guys are recruiting 6-8 players from each class with about 1/2 of them being pitchers. These coaches do not watch random games looking for the potentially 1 player from each teams roster that MIGHT be able to get into their school. They target kids and then watch those games.